Monday, February 3, 2014

Experimenting with photos

I spent most of my weekend experimenting with different photos and editing techniques.  Saturday was super frustrating as I wasn't pleased with my results.  But I persisted.
Sunday, better results......due to lots of learning, patience and persistence.

One of my goals is to shed the fear that many people have that they need to draw their own image for a thermafax screen.  If drawing scares you, why not choose a photo!

Here are some of my trial and tribulations.  I am sharing the good, the bad and the ugly.  It is all part of the process after all.  And......I realize as I proof this post that I need to scan in my finished prints.....the lighting is really off and I apologize.

One delightful thing I experienced and I will discuss later is the beauty of using silk screen ink.  It made my so-so screens produce beautiful prints.  Like I said....more about that later.

A flower from our garden this past summer.  I was pleased with the detail.  That was my goal....to see how much detail I can get in a thermafax print.

I found this leaf on a walk this past Fall.  I was curious in this experiment to see how the water drops would translate.  I like the affect.  I was VERY happy with the gold silk screen ink......perfect print when comparing the black and white image to the final print.

Yes, both my husband and I attended Michigan State University and now our oldest is there.  Go State!  So......I played with an image of Sparty.  I am not pleased with the print and realize that I need to try a different editing technique based on the tones in the original photo.  Great lesson to learn.

Our youngest daughter on a fun sledding day with her cousins.  So love this photo.  Need to experiement more with the ink/paint.  I can tell that it has the details (hat, smile).  I think the gold was too shimmery for this particular image and the blue paint was not the right consistency.  This one, in my opinion, still has potential.


Practice makes perfect.....or in this case.....practice makes you get better.  My troubleshooting skills have improved, my prints overall improved and I love printing even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment